The History of Watts
Established in 1912, Watts Security, Inc. has enjoyed a long, stable and prosperous history. Founded by a retired Boston Police Department Captain, Mr. Charles Watts, the company operated under the name of Watts Detective Agency until 1948, when it was acquired by Mr. John Heathcote.
During the Heathcote tenure, 1948-1970, the business was focused on security services within the local Mercantile Services industries of Boston.
In 1970, CSC Corporation purchased the Watts Detective Agency from Mr. Heathcote, renaming the company Watts Security Systems. Upon the company purchase, Mr. Stephen N. O’Brien was named General Manager of the company. Major customer growth ensued into the Hi-Tech corridors of Routes 2, 93, 128, 495 and Massachusetts Turnpike.
In 1975, Mr. O’Brien acquired ownership of Watts Security Systems, subsequently incorporating the company to Watts Security, Inc. in 1984, and continuing its substantial marketplace growth extending into Central and Western Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Mr. O’Brien has solely operated Watts Security, Inc. as President and CEO since 1975.
The company recently celebrated its 100th year anniversary in 2012.